MONTGOMERY, Ala. - LaGrange closed out the regular season by splitting two matches at a USA South quad match Saturday at Huntingdon College. The Panthers (11-18, 8-6 USA South) lost 3-1 to Maryville in the first match of the day, then topped Berea by the same score in the final match.
LC finished as the #4 seed in the West Division. The Panthers will face Berea, the #5 seed, at 5 p.m. Tuesday at Maryville College. The winner advances to face top-seeded Maryville later that evening at 7:30 p.m.
How it Happened
- LC took the first set against Maryville (24-6, 14-0 USA South). Jazzlyn Kenner and Leigha Reynolds had back-to-back kills to put the Panthers up 24-19. The Scots scored three straight points to close within two before Samantha James' kill gave LC the 25-22 win in the set. Maryville stormed back winning 25-9, 25-12, and 25-14 to take the match.
- The Panthers dropped the first set to Berea 25-21. LC trailed 14-10 in the second set. The Panthers rallied, retaking the lead 17-16 after a Mountaineer service error. Kenner and Yasmin Ropers's two kills each closed out the 25-20 win to even the match.
- In the third set, Berea led 18-16. The Panthers closed out the set on a 9-2 run to win 25-20. Leigha Reynolds put down the clinching kill. The Panthers never trailed in closing out the match with a 25-14 fourth set win. The Panthers set a season-high with 56 kills in the match with four players with double-figure kills.
- Kirsten Boyd had a season-high 50 assists to go with 14 digs against Berea. She had 20 assists and 13 digs against Maryville.
- Kenner had a match-high 14 kills and a .379 attack percentage against Berea. She led the team with 9 kills against Maryville.
- James had a season-high 13 kills against Berea and added 11 digs against Maryville.
- Reynolds had a double-double of 13 kills and 12 digs against Berea.
- Ariel Modeste had 12 kills against Berea.
- Bailey Moss had a team-high 18 digs against Berea.