BREVARD, N.C. - LaGrange moved up in the USA South East Division standings with wins over Piedmont and Brevard in a quad match Saturday. The Panthers (10-16, 7-4 USA South) avenged an earlier loss to Piedmont with a 3-1 win in the first match of the day, then swept host Brevard 3-0. LC is third in the division, trailing first place Maryville and second place Huntingdon.
"The girls are really coming together and playing to their potential," said Coach Madison Machurek. "Our block is undeniably one of the best in the conference. The girls have really grown and matured throughtout conference play. I am confident that we are ready to compete with the best in the conference tournament."
How it Happened
- The Panthers beat Piedmont 25-22, 17-25, 27-25, 25-11. Senior Jazzlyn Kenner had a career-high 22 kills and finished with a .606 attack percentage in the match. In the first set, Leigha Reynolds' kill broke a 22-22 tie and Kenner closed out the set with back-to-back kills. After the Lions evened the match with the second set win, the Panthers took a hard-fought third set. The set was tied 16 times and the lead changed hands nine times. Piedmont led 25-24 and serving for the set. Kenner tied it at 25 with a kill, then after a Lion attack error, Yasmin Roper put down the winning kill to put LC up 2-1 in the match. The fourth set was all LaGrange. The Panthers never trailed; they jumped out to a 7-1 early lead, then closed out the match with an 8-1 run.
- LC swept Brevard for the second time this season, winning 25-14, 25-17, 25-22. The Panthers had a .313 attack percentage in the first set. They never trailed in the first two sets. The Tornados scored the first three points of the third set. Bailey Moss' service ace put LC up 23-19. Brevard closed within a point, but a kill by Roper and a service ace by Morgan Ciesla closed out the set and the match.
- Kenner had 11 kills, 3 total blocks, and a .421 attack percentage against Brevard.
- Kirsten Boyd had 68 assists and 32 digs in the two matches.
- Leigha Reynolds had 8 kills and a team-high 16 digs against Piedmont.
- Moss finished with 4 service aces and a team-high 18 digs against Brevard.
- Ariel Modeste had 10 kills against Brevard.
- Shannon Williams had 10 digs against Brevard.
The Panthers host Huntingdon for Senior Night on Tuesday at 7 p.m. in Mariotti Gym.