MONTGOMERY, Ala. - Huntingdon downed LaGrange 3-1 in a USA South match in Roland Arena on Wednesday. The Panthers (4-15, 2-3) got double-doubles from Leigha Reynolds and Kirsten Boyd in the loss to the Hawks (14-10, 5-0).
"I have never been more proud to be the head volleyball coach of the LaGrange Panthers," Coach Madison Machurek said. "These women put on a show for over 200 spectators tonight. Huntingdon is a tough team to compete against, especially on their home court. The crowd was electric. Regardless our girls competed with true poise.
"Although we lost a hard-fought match, I couldn't be more proud of our young women. Hats off to them for performing brilliantly as a team. I can confidently say, I still see that light at the end of the tunnel."
How it happened:
- Huntingdon took the first two sets 25-20 and 25-18.
- The Panthers came back to extend the match with a 25-22 third set win. The Hawks led 5-2 early in the set. A kill by McKenzie Richards tied it at 6-6 and an error by the Hawks put the Panthers ahead to stay. LC led 17-11 before Huntingdon drew within one, 23-22. Reynolds answered with a kill and then teamed with Jazzlyn Kenner on a block to close out the set.
- Huntingdon built an 18-12 lead in the fourth set. The Panthers scored six of the next eight points to draw within two, 20-18. LC could get no closer as the Hawks closed out the match with a 25-21 win.
- Reynolds had a match and career-high 20 kills and 13 digs. She finished with a .343 attack percentage.
- Kirsten Boyd had a double-double of 48 assists and 12 digs.
- Samantha James had a team-high 14 digs.
- Jazzlyn Kenner had 10 kills and four total blocks.
- Bailey Moss had 11 digs.
- Ariel Modeste had four total blocks.
The Panthers host a USA South quad match in Mariotti Gym on Saturday. LC will play Berea at 10 a.m. and Maryville at 4 p.m.