Posted: Oct 05, 2019
LaGrange (4-14, 2-2) split USA South matches with Covenant and Agnes Scott on Saturday in Mariotti Gym. The Panthers lost 3-1 to Covenant and defeated Agnes Scott 3-1.
How it Happened
- Covenant downed the Panthers 26-24, 16-25, 30-28, 25-21. LC trailed 24-21 in the first set. The Panthers got a kill and two attack errors to tie the set at 24. The Scots retook the lead on a kill by Riley Howe, then a service set to take the set. LC squared the match in the second set. The Panthers used a 10-2 run to take control and led by as many as 11.
- The third set was a marathon. The Panthers faced set point three times but fought back to tie it at 28 on a kill by Jazzlyn Kenner. The Scotts pulled out the set with a kill and a service error by LC. In the fourth set, the Panthers led 15-8. Covenant came back to take a 19-18 lead. LC tied it at 19, before the Scots scored six of the set's final eight points to close out the match.
- The Panthers bounced back by beating Agnes Scott 25-14, 18-25, 25-20, 25-16. After trailing early in the first set, LC won going away, with the final 11-point margin its biggest lead. The Scotties came back to tie the match in the second set.
- LC went up 2-1 with a third set win. The Panthers broke a 3-3 tie with four straight points and never trailed again. Agnes Scott closed within two, 22-20, but the Panthers reeled off three straight points to take the set. Leigha Reynolds' kill put LC ahead to stay in the fourth set as the Panthers closed out the match.
- Kristin Boyd had double-double of 40 assists and 16 digs against Covenant. Boyd had 30 assists and nine digs against Agnes Scott.
- Jazzlyn Kenner and Leigha Reynolds had 13 kills each against Covenant. Reynolds added 16 digs for a double-double.
- Samantha James had a team-high 20 digs against Covenant.
- Bailey Moss had 19 digs against Covenant and a team-high 18 against Agnes Scott.
- Kenner had a team-high 10 kills against Agnes Scott.