MARYVILLE, Tenn. – The LaGrange College women's soccer team traveled to USA South-foe Maryville on Sunday afternoon for its final game of the 2019 season, as the Scots raced out to a 4-0 lead in the opening 24:02 and never looked back during a 10-0 victory.
The Panthers ended the season with an 8-11 overall record and a 1-7 mark in the USA South. Maryville finished with a perfect 8-0 mark in the conference and an overall record of 12-4. The Scots locked down the No. 1 seed in the West Division and earned a first-round bye in the USA South Tournament, as they will host a quarterfinal-round game on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Seniors Olivia Braun, Maura Webb and Taylor Hamm played in their final collegiate game for the Panthers, as they were major factors in increasing the success of women's soccer at LaGrange over the last few years.
- Shannon Reagan (4 goals, 1 assist) put Maryville on the scoreboard in the sixth minute. She fought through the Panthers' defense, and then netted a shot from the left side of the 18-yard box. Kelly Allen gave the Scots a two-goal cushion 3:02 later, sending a drive into the top of the net from 25 yards out.
- In the 20th minute, Panthers sophomore goalkeeper Emma Smith denied a header attempt from point-blank range by Alyssa Kral. Kral's follow-up attempt found the back of the net, giving Maryville a three-goal advantage. The Scots led, 4-0, at halftime, as Reagan struck again in the 25th minute. She eluded a defender with a change-of-direction play and ended up sending a shot from the left side of the box into the bottom-right corner.
- Maryville added six goals in the second half, with the final two coming by Sydney O'Hara in the 73rd and 90th minutes. Smith and freshman goalkeeper Maurie White combined for 20 saves in net for LaGrange.
2019 SEASON HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Panthers posted eight wins in 2019, which is the most in a single season for the program since 2013.
- LaGrange earned a 4-0 win over Judson during Senior Day on Oct. 22, as the Panthers honored their outstanding three-person senior class in Braun, Webb and Hamm. Webb and Hamm scored their first collegiate goals in the victory at Panther Field.
- Sophomore midfielder Sydney Dailey scored the game-winning goal with 3:38 left in regulation during a 2-1 win over USA South-foe Berea on Oct. 12 at Panther Field.
- LaGrange went on a five-game winning streak from Sept. 8-21, outscoring opponents, 16-2, during that stretch, including four shutouts.
- Dailey (6 goals, 7 assists, 19 points), and sophomore forwards Dynasty Burchett (6-1-13) and Zoe Watts (6-0-12) led the way on offense.
- Sophomore defender Madison Demkowski continued to evolve as a defensive leader after winning the team's MVP award as a rookie. Smith finished with six wins, two individual shutouts and two shared shutouts. She ended the season with a 1.70 goals-against average, posting double-digit save totals in five of the last seven games.
- Smith stopped 19-of-20 shots at Huntingdon on Oct. 16, while Dailey earned USA South Player of the Week honors for the first time in her career on Sept. 23.