Seniors Taylor Hamm and Maura Webb scored their first collegiate goals for the LaGrange College women's soccer team during Senior Day on Tuesday, as the Panthers picked up their eighth win of the season with a 4-0 shutout against non-conference for Judson at Panther Field.
The Panthers (8-10, 1-6 USA South) honored their tremendous three-person senior class, featuring Hamm, Webb and forward Olivia Braun, prior to the game. Sophomore midfielder Sydney Dailey finished with a goal and an assist, while sophomore midfielder Audrey Harkness recorded her first collegiate point with an assist. Judson fell to 3-8 overall with the loss.
"Tuesday's win on Senior Night was very gratifying, as two of the seniors scored goals to make their night even more special," said Panthers head coach Fred Wagenaar. "We had most of the possession and moved the ball around very well for the bulk of the time. It was a real team win with nearly everyone getting some field time. It was also the eighth win of the season, which is the most since 2013, so we are moving in the right direction. All in all, it was a great send-off for the seniors."
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Dailey nearly put the Panthers on the scoreboard in the 12th minute, but her shot from the edge of the box hit the crossbar.
- Panthers sophomore forward Zoe Watts opened the scoring in the 16th minute, picking the bottom-right corner off an outstanding long ball by freshman defender Jordan Alexis.
- Sophomore defender Madison Demkowski orchestrated LaGrange's second tally, locating Dailey on the edge of the box with a pass from just inside midfield. Dailey stayed patient and buried a shot into the lower-left corner in the 26th minute, pushing the Panthers' lead up to 2-0.
- In the 27th minute, LaGrange generated a pair of chances off a corner kick by Dailey. Freshman midfielder Christina Shanahan's header was stopped by Judson goalkeeper Brianna Arriaga and Webb's attempt collided with the left post.
- Hamm, who recently recovered from an ACL tear, nearly found her way onto the scoreboard in the 39th minute, but her shot was blocked from point-blank range off an outstanding cross by Shanahan.
- With 59 seconds left in the opening half, Hamm buried a shot into the lower-right corner off a through ball by Dailey, giving the Panthers a 3-0 lead at halftime.
- Webb had another strong opportunity in the 60th minute off a through ball, but Judson goalkeeper Chasely Matmanivong was quick off her line and broke up the rush.
- Webb ended the scoring in the 71st minute, one-timing a cross from the right attacking side by Harkness into the left side of the net.
- Olivia Braun has been the head captain for the Panthers since the end of her sophomore season. She has compiled five goals, one assist and 11 points during her four-year run at LaGrange, starting 41-of-62 games that she appeared in. She scored twice in a 3-2 win against Toccoa Falls on Sept. 11.
- Taylor Hamm served as a student assistant coach earlier this fall during her recovery from an ACL injury. She thought her way back and played in six of the last seven games.
- Maura Webb has been a crucial factor in the midfield for the Panthers, organizing the attack and helping the team transition from defense to offense. She has played in 44 career games, making 40 starts, as she picked up an assist in a 4-0 win at Talladega on Sept. 8.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Panthers sophomore goalkeeper Emma Smith picked up her sixth win of the season, making five saves in the opening 84:34. Sophomore goalkeeper Natalie Tyler kept the Eagles off the board during the final 5:26.
- LaGrange held a 39-8 lead in shots and a 15-5 advantage in shots on goals, while leading the corner-kicks category, 7-0.
- Watts (8 shots) and Webb (7 shots) each put three shots on goal, while sophomore forward Dynasty Burchett finished with seven shots.
- The eight wins this fall are the most in a single season for the Panthers since 2013.
- The Panthers will close out the 2019 regular season on Sunday with a 3:30 p.m. game at USA South-foe Maryville.