Sophomore goalkeeper Emma Smith of the LaGrange College women's soccer team recorded a season-high 10 saves and denied a penalty-kick attempt in the 76th minute during a 2-0 setback to USA South-rival Covenant on Saturday evening at Panther Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Sophomore defender Madison Demkowski came up with a strong defensive stand 4:10 into the game for the Panthers (6-7, 0-3 USA South), as she blocked a point-blank header attempt by Anna Robertson of Covenant (4-4-2, 2-0-1 USA South).
- During the seventh minute, Smith made a difficult stop on an in-close shot by Kailey Burrell off a through ball by Robertson. Smith once again denied Burrell in the 24th minute during a point-blank attempt on the right side of the box off a long ball by Robertson.
- Panthers freshman defender Jordan Alexis made an impressive defensive play with 28:15 left in the first half, stealing the ball away from Robertson in a dangerous area on the edge of the 18-yard box.
- With 14:59 remaining in regulation, Smith dove to her right and denied a penalty-kick attempt by Robertson. Kyra Duble had a follow-up chance inside the box, but Smith was able to deny that opportunity as well.
- Robertson found the back of the net 42 seconds after her penalty kick, as she finished off a header into the left side of the net off a cross by Addy Cronan. Tori Deen extended Covenant's lead to 2-0 in the 78th minute, one-timing a pass from Sophia Andre into the left side of the goal.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Smith (4-5) has totaled double-digit saves six times in her collegiate career.
- Sophomore forward Dynasty Burchett and senior forward Olivia Braun each finished with a pair of shots.
- Covenant held a 30-7 advantage in shots, including a 12-3 edge in shots on goal.
- The Panthers will take on USA South-foe Wesleyan (Ga.) on Wednesday at 6 p.m. in Macon, Georgia.