DECATUR, Ga. – The LaGrange College women's soccer team competed in its first USA South Conference game of 2019 on Saturday at Agnes Scott, as Myah Johnson scored the game-winning goal for the Scotties during the 104th minute in a 1-0 double-overtime win.
Sophomore midfielder Sydney Dailey almost gave the Panthers (6-5, 0-1 USA South) a 1-0 lead in the 79th minute. She unloaded on a free kick from beyond the box, but the shot drilled the crossbar. Senior forward Olivia Braun had a follow-up chance, which was corralled by goalkeeper Victoria Cruz for Agnes Scott (3-5, 1-0 USA South).
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- During the 30th minute, Panthers sophomore goalkeeper Emma Smith turned aside a shot with a great deal of velocity from the left side of the box by Johnson. On the ensuing corner kick, Smith was quick off her line and punched the ball out of danger in the middle of the scrum.
- Sophomore forward Zoe Watts tried to put LaGrange on the board 5:35 into the second half, but her shot from the right edge of the box went over the crossbar. The scoring chance was orchestrated by a through ball in the middle of the pitch from Dailey.
- Freshman defender Jordan Alexis placed an outstanding ball from deep in LaGrange's zone down the length of the field in the 63rd minute. As play moved down field, senior midfielder Maura Webb ripped a shot toward the right side of the net, but Cruz turned aside the attempt.
- Midway through the second half, sophomore defender Madison Demkowski made a clutch play in the box, stealing the ball in a dangerous area away from an Agnes Scott player.
- Sydni Perry sent a ball from the middle of the field into the box for Agnes Scott just over three minutes into the second 10-minute overtime session, and then Johnson was able to win a foot race and bury a shot into the bottom-left corner.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Smith (4-4) finished with a game-high seven saves.
- The Panthers put six of their 12 shots on net, while the Scotties led the shots category, 25-12, and the shots-on-goal statistic, 8-6.
- Dailey and Braun each finished with three shots, combining for four on net.
- The 2018 matchup between LaGrange and Agnes Scott ended in a 0-0 draw at Panther Field.
- The Panthers will be back in action on Friday with a 3 p.m. game at Panther Field against USA South-rival Brevard.