LAGRANGE, Ga. – Senior forward Olivia Braun tallied two goals and sophomore midfielder Sydney Dailey posted one goal and two assists, as the Panthers improved their record to .500 with a 3-2 win over visiting Toccoa Falls on Wednesday at Panther Field on the campus of LaGrange College.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Dailey recorded a strong scoring chance for the Panthers (3-3-0) with a shot inside the box 4:23 into the game, but Screaming Eagles freshman goalkeeper Katie Kratochvil made a diving stop toward her left. Dailey did not hang her head, and at the 14:50 mark of the first half, she sent a perfect pass across the box, which Braun looped with a one-timer into the top-left corner of the net for the early 1-0 lead.
- Sophomore defender Madison Demkowski was outstanding for the Panthers from a defensive perspective in the first half. In the 24th minute, she stopped back-to-back transitions by Toccoa Falls with her strong footwork, and then with 18:30 left in the opening half, she made a highlight-reel sliding tackle to break up a rush.
- The hosts were back on the attack again during the 33rd minute with Dailey placing a perfect corner kick into the box, and then Braun established her position in the attacking zone and one-timed a shot into the bottom-left corner of the net, extending the Panthers' advantage to 2-0 with 12 minutes, 45 seconds, showing on the clock.
- Senior midfielder Jessica Goff put the Eagles (0-4-0) on the scoreboard in the 37th minute, converting a breakaway goal into the bottom left corner of the net, trimming the deficit down to 2-1.
- Goff found the bottom right corner of the net with 4:11 left in the first half, evening the score at 2-2.
- LaGrange showed a great deal of resiliency, as Dailey ended her three-point night by sending the game-winning goal into the top-left corner of the net 1:04 after Goff's second tally.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Sophomore Emma Smith (two saves) and freshman Maurie White (two saves) were both crucial factors in net for the Panthers, as Smith played the opening 69:21 and White kept the visitors off the board during the final 20:39. Kratochvil made a game-high 10 stops in net for Toccoa Falls.
- Dailey led the way with a game-high six shots on goal for LaGrange, while sophomore Zoe Watts and Braun each put two shots on target. Goff and junior forward Kim Berry each put two shots on target for the Eagles.
- The hosts held a commanding 23-7 advantage in shots and a 13-6 lead in the shots-on-goal category. LaGrange led the corner-kicks section, 4-0, while the hosts were whistled with eight fouls and the visitors were tagged with one infraction.
- The Panthers will be back in action with a non-conference game at William Peace on Sunday at noon in Raleigh, N.C.