ATLANTA – Junior guard Jahpera McEachin of the LaGrange College women's basketball team scored a career-high 25 points, going 11-for-11 from the foul line during a 78-54 loss to host Oglethorpe on Saturday at the SAA/USA South Classic.
McEachin went 6-of-14 from the floor and 2-for-5 from beyond the arc, finishing with four rebounds in 31 minutes. She dropped 10 of her game-high 25 points in the opening 10 minutes, including a pair of old-fashioned, 3-point plays. The 11 made free throws are tied for the 11th most in a single game in program history and are the most by McEachin in a Panthers' uniform.
The Panthers (0-1) started out strong, taking an early 19-14 lead in the first quarter, but the Stormy Petrels (1-0) outscored LaGrange, 64-35, the rest of the way.
WHAT THEY SAID:
Panthers Head Coach Lee Buchanan: "I was proud of how hard we played and thought we did some good things. Unfortunately for us, Oglethorpe did not miss too many shots from anywhere. Our defense was good at times and the Petrels made tough shots. We must do a better job of taking care of the ball and continue to strengthen our team's weak spots. We must stay positive and keep working because we are getting better each day. We must bounce back quickly. We play a good Berry College team on Sunday."
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Panthers senior captain and forward Mykelli Taylor finished with eight points for LaGrange on 3-for-7 shooting from the floor and a 2-for-6 performance from 3-point range.
- Sophomore guard Jada Brown (6 points) went 3-for-3 from the floor, to go along with two rebounds and two steals. Junior guard Daijah Cousins finished with three points, three assists, three rebounds and one steal.
- Junior forward Charley Amissah-Reyes posted four points and a team-high three steals. Freshman forward Breonna Glover scored her first two collegiate points.
- The Panthers and Petrels each finished with 27 rebounds, as LaGrange had 17 defensive rebounds and a game-high 10 offensive boards.
- The Panthers were aggressive taking the ball to the basket, as they attempted 26 free throws, compared to only 15 for Oglethorpe.
- LaGrange scored 16 points in the paint, while receiving 17 from the bench, 13 off turnovers and eight from fast breaks.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- The Panthers and Petrels have met 17 times in the history of the programs, as Oglethorpe leads the series with a 10-7 record.
- The Panthers last win in the series occurred on Nov. 29, 2015, by a score of 49-47. Oglethorpe won the 2018 matchup, 62-36, at Mariotti Gym.
- From 2009-15, LaGrange won six-consecutive games against Oglethorpe, with three being decided by two points or less.
- The Panthers will compete against Berry at the SAA/USA South Classic on Sunday with tip-off set for 2 p.m. at Oglethorpe in Atlanta. LaGrange's home opener will be on Monday, Nov. 18, against Judson at 5:30 p.m.