The LaGrange College men's soccer team entertained top-seeded Covenant in a USA South West Division showdown on Friday at Panther Field, as the Scots scored two goals in the first half and another three in the final 45 minutes during a 5-0 triumph.
The Panthers (5-9-1, 4-6-1 USA South) currently occupy the fourth and final playoff spot in the West Division with two regular-season games remaining against conference-foes Greensboro and Pfeiffer. Covenant improved to 12-2-1 overall and 9-0 in the USA South.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Scots found the back of the net 5:49 into regulation, as Austin Berry recorded a header goal from deep in the 18-yard box off a left-side corner kick by Jesse Riggs.
- During the ninth minute, Panthers freshman goalkeeper Lucas Wright made a diving stop toward his right off a drive by Berry.
- The Panthers nearly found their way onto the scoreboard in the 10th minute, as freshman midfielder Blake Webb sent a through ball to senior midfielder Errick Sturm on the right side of the box. Sturm ripped a shot on net, but the attempt collided with the right post.
- In the 14th minute, Panthers freshman midfielder Enrique Hernandez dribbled into the box and ripped a shot, but the drive was turned aside by Covenant goalkeeper Paul Lemay.
- Jake Major put the Scots up 2-0 in the 17th minute, capitalizing on a run down the right side of the field. In the 22nd minute, Wright made a big-time stop for LaGrange on a shot from distance by Nathan Laughlin.
- LaGrange had an opportunity in the 49th minute. Sophomore midfielder Dallas Daily sent a through ball to a sprinting Sturm, but Lemay was able to break up the rush.
- Panthers freshman defender Bryson Gordy made an exceptional defensive play 10 minutes into the second half, breaking up a rush by Josh Brower.
- Covenant extended its lead to 3-0 10:47 into the second half, as Parker Owen one-timed a shot into the right side of the net off a feed by Major. Berry gave the Scots a 4-0 lead during the 61st minute, one-timing a pass by Brower into the left side of the net. Robert Pettit ended the scoring in the 87th minute off a corner kick.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wright (4-6-1) finished with seven saves, while Hernandez put four of his team-high five shots on net.
- Covenant held a 26-9 advantage in shots, including a 12-5 lead in shots on goal.
- The Panthers will compete against USA South-foe Greensboro on Saturday (3 p.m.) during Senior Day at Panther Field.