MARYVILLE, Tenn. – Freshman midfielder Blake Webb of the LaGrange College men's soccer team scored his team-leading fifth goal of the season on Saturday, but the Panthers suffered a 3-1 setback at USA South-foe Maryville.
LaGrange (4-6-1) currently sits at .500 in the USA South with a 3-3-1 record, as two of the wins have come in overtime on the road. The Panthers have six pivotal conference games remaining, as they will be looking to qualify for the playoffs for the third-straight year. Maryville improved to 8-3 overall and 6-1 in the conference.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Scots struck first 12:27 into the game, as Kai Miettinen picked the top-right corner from 25 yards out, assisted by Chris Fernandez.
- During the 16th minute, Panthers freshman goalkeeper Lucas Wright made a pair of top-notch saves. He aggressively came off his line and broke up a chance by Jace Burchfiel off a turnover on the edge of the box. Five seconds later, Wright got back into position and denied Aaron Rucker.
- Maryville extended its lead to 2-0 in the 18th minute, as Trevor McDonald buried a shot into the top-right corner from the left side of the box off a through ball by Johnny Rakhmonberdiev.
- Midway through the first half, Panthers senior midfielder Errick Sturm and Webb embarked on an impressive give-and-go play, but Maryville goalkeeper Mykal Manfred broke up the rush.
- Fernandez put the Scots up 3-0 with a sliding effort on the right doorstep in the 28th minute off a service from the left attacking side by Rakhmonberdiev.
- In the 32nd minute, Wright turned aside a shot by Ndubueze Henry with a great deal of velocity.
- Webb put the Panthers on the board with 5:15 remaining in regulation. He sent a shot on net, which was turned aside by Manfred, and then Webb buried the rebound into the top-left corner.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Webb leads the Panthers in goals (5), assists (4) and points (14), as he has tallied at least one point in six out of 11 games.
- Maryville led the shots category, 29-8, and held a 15-2 advantage in shots on goal.
- Wright (3-4-1) made a game-high seven saves in the first half, while freshman goalkeeper Gian Dev stopped all five shots in the second half.
- LaGrange will end its three-game road trip with a 7 p.m. game on Wednesday at USA South-rival Huntingdon in Montgomery, Alabama.