Senior midfielder Errick Sturm scored two goals and became the all-time leading goal scorer for the LaGrange College men's soccer team during a 3-1 USA South Conference win over Averett on Saturday at Panther Field.
Sturm has 31 career goals with 16 coming during his sophomore campaign. He passed Panther legends Terry Wadsworth (1985-88) and Marwan Warrayat (1983, 1985), as each totaled 30 goals during their stellar careers.
The Panthers picked up three crucial conference points, improving to 3-4 overall and 2-1 in the USA South. The Cougars fell to 3-5 and 1-2 in the conference.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- During the 53rd minute, freshman midfielder Blake Webb fired a shot, which resulted in a handball offense in the box on Averett. Sturm put LaGrange on the board with a penalty-kick goal from 12 yards out, beating Cougars goalkeeper Colton Dutchess to the right side.
- Averett evened the game at 1-1 in the 59th minute, as Erik Blick recorded a header goal off a corner kick by Ty Michelson.
- Freshman midfielder Enrique Hernandez generated the game-winning goal in the 81st minute with a long through ball from the defensive side of the field, and then freshman forward Jaydon Parish finished the play with a shot into the left side of the net.
- The Panthers extended their lead to 3-1 with 1:59 showing on the clock. Webb maintained possession in the middle of the pitch and sent a pass over to Sturm, who one-timed a shot into the bottom-left corner of the net, breaking the Panthers' all-time goal scoring record in the process.
- Panthers freshman goalkeeper Lucas Wright made a diving save with 6:23 left in the first half on a rocket by Johnny Kummander, keeping the game scoreless heading into halftime.
- Hernandez showcased his play-making ability in the 15th minute, placing a deep cross from the left side into the middle of the box, but Parish's header attempt trickled past the right post.
WHAT THEY SAID:
Panthers Head Coach Ryan Dickson: "In the second half, we continued to press Averett and finally got what we deserved by scoring a penalty-kick goal. We are a young team and we have conceded a lot of quick goals this season after scoring. We showed our inexperience again by allowing them to put pressure on us and win a few set pieces. I made a few changes and we hit them on the counterattack with Jaydon Parrish finishing off a great run. We scored the third one as they were pressing to get a second goal. Blake Webb played a great pass to Errick Sturm."
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Panthers led the shots category, 22-13, including holding an 8-5 advantage in shots on goal. The two teams combined for 19 corner kicks with LaGrange attempting eight.
- Wright totaled four saves in his second collegiate win. Sturm leads the Panthers in goals (3) and points (7), while Webb has the most assists on the team with four.
- The Panthers have defeated Averett in three straight games with the 2017 and 2018 matchups being decided by one goal.
- The Panthers will take on USA South-foe William Peace at Panther Field on Sunday, starting at 2 p.m.