LaGrange picked up its first win of the season, downing Bob Jones 85-72 on Saturday at the Panthers' own Wingate by Wyndham Classic in Mariotti Gym. LC got a game-high 25 points from Julian Cameron, while Lincoln Anderson had a double-double with career highs of 21 points and 14 rebounds.
Coach Kendal Wallace:
"Bob Jones is a good ball club, they play 5 in and 5 out and keep you on your heels with a lot of good shooters. We finally got down and played defense like I think we know how to. We gave them a few too many offensive rebounds but other than that I thought we played a very thorough and complete game. We had a good game plan put together and I'm proud of my guys to get that little monkey off our back. Hopefully, we can build on this as the season progresses. Lincoln had only one rebound and got in some foul trouble last night and wanted to come out and make his presence known. I felt like he did that the entire night."
How it Happened
- The two teams swapped the lead six times in the first half. Back-to-back 3s from Drew Shepherd and Henry Blair gave the Panthers (1-3) their largest lead of the half, 28-19, with 9:43 remaining.
- The Bruins (2-5) put together a 19-5 run over the next five minutes to take a 38-33 lead. The Panthers held the Bruins scoreless for the rest of the half. Anderson completed a three-point play to give LC a 40-38 halftime lead.
- The Panthers never gave up the lead in the second half. Ronald Youngblood's layup off an assist from Cameron put LC up 57-45 just over five minutes into the half. The Bruins crept within four, 62-58, but could not get closer.
- Cameron's trey pushed the Panthers' lead back to double-digits, 74-62, with five minutes remaining. Kyle Brown's basket inside gave LC its largest lead, 79-63, with 3:52 left.
By the Numbers
- The Panthers had a 42-35 edge in rebounding, the first time they out rebounded an opponent.
- LC was 13-of-16 (81.3%) from the free throw line. Bob Jones was only 5-of-15 from the line.
- The Panther starters outscored their Bruin counterparts 68-14.
- Cameron finished with 25 points for the third time this season. He also had a game-high seven assists.
The Panthers play an exhibition game at NCAA Division II member Florida Tech on Nov. 29. They return to Mariotti Gym on Dec. 4 to face Emory, who is 6th-ranked in the D3hoops.com Top 25 preseason poll.