BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - Tournament host Birmingham-Southern held off LaGrange 90-85 in the Black Tie Classic on Sunday. The Panthers finished the tournament 0-2.
Coach Kendal Wallace:
"We played a very solid 27 minutes of basketball on Saturday and then another 35 solid minutes today. Unfortunately the games are 40 minutes. These two losses are valuable. We got better both days. We are starting to understand our strengths and weaknesses and what we have to do to win consistently. I'm not happy about the losses but I'm very excited about this team and their potential. We will get back to work tomorrow. The best is yet to come!"
How it Happened
- LC led only once in the game. Lincoln Anderson made 1-of-2 free throws for a 1-0 lead 16 seconds into the game. Birmingham-Southern (2-2) led by as much as 11 in the first half and led 42-34 at halftime.
- The host Panthers built double-digit leads in the second half and led 81-68 with 4:34 left. LC chipped away at the deficit. Julian Cameron's 3-pointer made it a four-point game, 85-81, with 39 seconds remaining. Brian Shepherd's trey closed out the Panthers' scoring with four seconds showing. Birmingham-Southern got a pair of free throws following Shepherd's shot for the 90-85 final.
By the Numbers
- Cameron finished with a game-high 25 points, leading LC for the second straight game. He was 4-of-9 shooting 3s.
- Kyle Brown had a career-high 20 points, 15 coming in the second half. He was 6-of-7 shooting in the second half. Brown led LC with 6 rebounds and 3 steals.
- Anderson had 14 points, 4 rebounds, and 2 steals.
- Shepherd and Ronald Youngblood each had 10 points.
- The Panthers forced 22 Birmingham-Southern turnovers, while commiting only 9.
The Panthers host the Wingate by Wyndham Classic. LC will play East Texas Baptist on Friday and Bob Jones on Saturday. Game time is 5 p.m. each day.