Brevard handed LaGrange its second straight USA South loss, beating the Panthers 21-3 on Saturday at Callaway Stadium. The loss dropped the Panthers to 3-5 overall and 1-4 in conference play.
"Disappointed in the outcome. Like the last few weeks we've had several opportunities to win a football game and it just didn't happen," said Coach Earl Chambers. "Offensively, we're in a slump, we can't score right now. We get to a point and figure out ways to go backwards. More issues to address, a lot of it is just maturity, we're young. Eighty to ninety percent of our guys when you look at them in all phases are all freshmen. When you look at you hope these guys will come back and learn from this and learn."
How it Happened
- Brevard (5-2, 3-2 USA South) drove 67 yards in six plays on its first possession. Dalton Cole threw 42 yards to Jamerial Parks to give the Tornados an early 7-0 lead.
- The Panthers got on the board late in the first quarter. Alex Rivera kicked a 41-yard field goal to make it 7-3. Rivera is 7-for-8 in field goals this season. LC's next six drives ended in four punts and twice on downs.
- Cole ran it in from 6-yards out to finish a short 49-yard drive to give Brevard a 14-3 halftime lead.
- Still trailing 14-3 in the fourth quarter, LC put together it best offensive drive of the game. Starting at their 20 after the Tornados missed a short field goal, the Panthers drove down the field into scoring position. Brevin Linnell threw 21 yards to David Baros to the Brevard 17 and a face mask penalty set the Panthers up first and goal at the 8. But three plays gained 4 yards and Linnell's fourth down pass fell incomplete.
- The Tornadoes closed out the scoring on Aaron Bennett's 23-yard touchdown run with 53 seconds left in the game.
- Terron Dixon ran for 68 yards on 19 carries.
- Randy Fillingame had a game-high 10 total tackles.
- Joe Thomas had 4 tackles, 2 for losses, including a sack.