Freshman running back Terron Dixon had a record day to lead LaGrange to a 40-23 Homecoming 2019 win in soggy Callaway Stadium on Saturday. The game was played in a steady rain off the remnants of tropical storm Nesto. The Panthers (3-3, 1-2 USA South) got their first USA South win in beating the Pride (1-5, 0-3 USA South) for the fifth straight year.
"It got sloppy early on. I was hoping we could play a little bit better but they played better than I've seen them play all year," Coach Earl Chambers said. "I thought they put up a good fight in the first quarter as we made some mistakes and put the ball on the ground more than I wanted to see.
"Our goal coming into this game was to try and run it, we knew the conditions were going to be sloppy. I'm very proud of our guys, we fought hard and its going to help us."
By the Numbers
- Dixon rushed for a school single-game record of 284 yards, one yard shy of tying the conference single-game record. He broke Mario Wallace's record of 185 yards set almost to the day 11 years ago against Westminister on Oct. 18, 2008. He rushed for 186 yards on just six carries in the second quarter.
- Dixon tied Andrecus Lindley's school record of four rushing touchdowns with runs of 29, 35, 10, and 63 yards.
- LC set a school team game record with 488 yards rushing, breaking the mark of 416 set against Eureka on Nov. 1, 2008. The Panthers had 325 yards rushing in the first half.
- The Panthers set a school and USA South team game record of 9.2 yards per rushing attempt.
- The Panthers attempted only nine passes in the rainy conditions, none in the second half.
How it Happened
- The Panthers took the opening drive 68 yards in seven plays to grab a 6-0 lead. Quarterback Cam Perkins ran the final 18 yards to finish the drive.
- Greensboro answered with a short field goal, then turned two LC turnovers into touchdowns to take a 17-6 lead after the first quarter.
- Dixon scored from 29 yards out for his first TD to open the second quarter. On LC's next possession he went 80 yards for an apparent touchdown, but was called for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on the run, cutting it to a 65-yard run. Brendon Scott went around the right side 30 yards on the next play as the Panthers took the 26-17 lead into halftime.
- Dixon finished the scoring in the third quater with touchdown runs of 10 and 63 yards as LC's lead swelled to 40-17.
- Brendon Scott finished with 141 yards rushing and the one touchdown. It was his sixth career 100-yard rushing game, tying him with Wallace. He has 558 yards on the season, bettering his career best of 497 yards as a sophomore.
- Dixon had a 29-yard kickoff return to finish the day with 313 all-purpose yards, the second most in a game in the program's history.
- Randy Fillingame and Brandon Ray each had seven tackles. Fillingame also had a forced fumble.
- Aaron Belt had his first interception of the season.
The Panthers play at Maryville next Saturday in a USA South game.