NEWPORT NEWS, Va. - LaGrange ran away from the Apprentice School in a 50-13 win Saturday. The Panthers improved to 2-1, while the Builders (2-1) suffered their first loss.
"I'm very proud of the guys and how they played today," Coach Earl Chambers said. "It got a bit sloppy at times, however, we made our second half adjustments and finished strong. Last week, I felt like we matured as a team. We are starting to understand we must be ready to play and execute on game day.
"We will watch the film tomorrow and continue to find ways to improve. Offensively, we can't turn the ball over and expect to win games in conference. Overall, we needed this win to build more confidence in our younger players and hopefully it will give some momentum going into conference play."
How it Happened:
- The Panthers went 74 yards in nine plays on their first possession to grab a 7-0 lead. Tyler Benjamin, playing in his first game of the season, caught a 26-yard touchdown pass from Shedrick Lindsey to cap the drive.
- Apprentice scored on a fumble recovery and after Brendon Scott went in from the 1-yard line, the Builders took advantage of another LC turnover to tie the game at 13 with 1:44 left in the half.
- LC needed only 36 seconds to retake the lead. Lindsey threw 20 yards to Landon Emery to finish a quick 3-play, 50-yard drive for a 19-13 lead at halftime
- The Panthers took the momentum into the second half. Taking the second half kickoff, they went 74-yards in seven plays. Lindsey hooked up with David Baros from 48 yard out for a 26-13 lead.
- Scott raced 44-yards for his second score and Alex Rivera's 34-yard field goal put LC up 36-13 heading to the final quarter.
- Lindsey finished his day with his fourth touchdown pass, a 55-yard strike to Jake Hayes.
- Freshman Terron Dixon closed out the scoring with a 76-yard touchdown run on his first collegiate carry.
By the Numbers:
- The two teams combined for 10 turnovers (five each). Eight came in the first half.
- The Panther defense held Apprentice to 187 yards of total offense. The Builders had only 11 yards passing in the game, completing as many passes (3) as interceptions (3).
- LC had 550 yards of total offense (299 rushing/251 passing).
- Peyton Haynes, school record three interceptions, and a fumble recovery. He has five interceptions on the season, breaking the school single season mark of four set by T.J. Bullock and Brandon Penn. He is tied with Penn for most career interceptions with seven.
- Scott rushed for a career-high 150 yards on 19 carries, averaging 7.9 yards per carry. He is now second on the school career rushing touchdowns list with 13.
- Benjamin had team-high five receptions for 61 yards and the touchdown.
The Panthers open USA South play next Saturday against N.C. Wesleyan in Callaway Stadium. Kickoff is 1 p.m.