MOUNT BERRY, Ga. - Nationally-ranked Berry handed LaGrange its first loss of the season Saturday in the Battle of US 27 at Valhalla Stadium. The No. 16 Vikings (2-0) scored on their first six possesions and went on to a 34-9 win over the Panthers (1-1).
Berry is coached by former LaGrange defensive coordinator Tony Kunczewski. The Vikings also have former Panther player Nathan Masters as their defensive coordinator. The Panthers have Berry graduates John Cody and Antonio White on their coaching staff.
How it Happened:
- Berry took the opening kickoff 65 yards in nine plays to take a 7-0.
- The Panthers came back with a scoring drive on their first possession. Quarterback Shedrick Lindsey hooked up with Jeremiah Engram for completions of 26 and 14 yards setting up Alex Rivera's 29-field goal to cut Berry's lead to 7-3.
- The Vikings scored the next 17 points to go up 24-3 at halftime.
- The Panther defense limited Berry to 10 points in the second half.
- The defense set up LC's fourth quarter touchdown. Shamal Hopkins forced a fumble, recovered by Kyshun Battle at Berry's 34-yard line.
- Lindsey threw 31 yards to De'Queze Fryer to the 3-yard line on the first play. Three plays later, Brendon Scott banged in from the 1-yard line for his fourth touchdown of the season.
- Fryer led LC with 61 yards on three receptions
- Engram finished with 51 yards on three catches
- James Monroe III had a team-high 38 yards on six attempts
- Linebacker Randy Fillingame had eight total tackles
- Defensive back Peyton Haynes had an interception
- Defensive end Jamie Sellers had four tackles including a sack
The Panthers are off next week. They travel to Newport News, Virginia on Sept. 28 to face Apprentice in their final non-conference game. LC opens USA South play Oct. 5 in Callaway Stadium against N.C. Wesleyan.