The LaGrange men's tennis team opened its 2017-18 season with a 6-3 win over Emory-Oxford on Saturday. The visiting Eagles are the three-time defending National Junior College Athletic Association Division III national champions.
Freshman Alan Valdez clinched the match at #3 singles with a 6-0, 6-2 win over Alex Mo. Valdez, his brother Carlos, and Geoffrey Martin all got their first college win in singles. Freshmen Trevor McLemore and Caleb Edde won their #2 doubles, while Martin teamed with Kyle Kelley to win at #3 doubles.
1. Cabral/McCarthy (EO) def. Mitchell Corley/Alan Valdez (LC) 9-8 (9-7)
2. Trevor McLemore/Caleb Edde (LC) def. Mo/Sun (EO) 9-8 (7-4)
3. Geoffrey Martin/Kyle Kelley (LC) def. Sonawala/Coston (EO) 8-4
1.Corley (LC) def. Cabral (EO) 6-4, retired
2. McCarthy (LC) def. Will Thompson (LC) 6-1, 6-0
3. A. Valdez (LC) def. Mo (EO) 6-0, 6-2
4. C. Valez (LC) def. Sun (EO) 3-6, 6-2, 1-0 (7-4)
5. Coston (EO) def. Edde (LC) 6-2, 6-3
6. Martin (LC) def. Sonawala (EO) 6-0, 6-1
McLemore (LC) def. Hasty (EO) 8-0